Please note that each Trial Garden has its own schedule for accepting entries based on their local growing season. Follow the guidelines for each garden. Please send viable, healthy tubers or plants.
Reservations are essential at each of the gardens. Please cancel reservations if you won’t be able to send entries.
Send a picture of the entry with the application. Each entry must have a name when submitted.
EASTERN – NEW YORK
Michael Shukofsky 516-437-0143
25 Barbara Street
Elmont, New York 11003
Limit of 50 cultivars. Make checks payable to: Michael Shukofsky. Send roots or plants after May 1st.
NORTH CENTRAL – MINNEAPOLIS, MINN.
Larry Bagge 612-597-5883
13600 Mystic Lake Dr. NW
Shakopee, MN 55379
Lnsbagg7@aol.com – for reservations
Send tubers or plants to:
John Kooiman 612-749-9423
1610 Rhode Island Ave. N
Golden Valley, MN 55437
Limit of 24 cultivars. Make checks payable to North Central Trial Garden.
Send tubers April 1st, send plants May 1st.
MIDWEST – BONNEYVILLE Trial Garden
Steve Kuiper 574- 533-0117
Send entries to:
Mac Boyer 574- 848-4888
16816 County Road 10
Bristol, Indiana 46507
Make checks payable to: Mac Boyer. Limit of 35 cultivars.
Each originator limited to 4 entries.
Send roots by April 15th, plants by May 15th.
CANBY OREGON TRIAL GARDEN
Limit of 35 cultivars. Please make your reservations early and we do limit entries from each hybridizer. Make checks payable to: Portland Dahlia Society.
Send roots by April 1 and plants by May 1. Sorry, we can’t return tubers at the end of the season.
INLAND EMPIRE – SPOKANE, WASH.
Gary Plowman 509-924-4394
10509 E. Dean Ave.
Spokane Valley, WA 99206
Limit of 35 cultivars. Please send tubers starting April 15th, plants starting May 1st. Make checks payable to: Inland Empire Dahlia Society.
PACIFIC NORTHWEST-TACOMA, WASH.
Terry & Bob Schroeder 360-340-5164 or email for
reservations at email@example.com
Send tubers or plants to:
Metro Parks Tacoma Greenhouse
3401-C South Orchard Street
Tacoma, WA 98466
Make checks payable to: Metro Parks District.
Send Tubers April 15th – Plants May 1st. Sorry we can’t return tubers at the end of the season.
PIPER CREEK TRIAL GARDEN
Lorne McArthur 403-346-4902
37514 RGE RD 273, Red Deer County,
AB. Canada T4E 1N1
Limit of 30 cultivars. Send tubers April 1 to 15 for greenhouse for planting out June 1 – 7.
MID-ATLANTIC TRIAL GARDEN
John Spangenberg 410-707-6982
PO Box 146
Damascus, MD 20872
Limit of 27 cultivars, Make checks payable to National Capital Dahlia Society
Send tubers April 15th, send plants May 1st
Trial Garden Rules
- See the Classification and Handbook of Dahlias for complete Trial Garden rules.
- Only undisseminated cultivars will be accepted for trial.
- A fee of $12 is required for each entry in each Trial Garden.
- Varieties sent must be in their third or greater year.
- Cultivars may only be entered for two consecutive years.
- Stock will be destroyed at the end of the season unless originator requests return. If the garden can accommodate the request, an additional fee of $10 plus shipping is required.
- Solid colored sports of variegated cultivars are not eligible for entry.
- Medal winners must be disseminated the following season. Inform the Trial Garden Director if dissemination plan changes.